Image Map

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Quinn James : Birth Story

I always want to remember how our first born came into this world. Here is the story of meeting our sweet girl for the first time.

40 weeks + 1 day. Friday April 7, 2017.
My water broke around 9pm. Steve and I were sitting in our living room watching TV and I felt a small contraction then thought I peed my pants a little (oh the joys of pregnancy). So I went to the bathroom and thought my water broke instead but I wasn't totally convinced. I went back to watching TV and got up a little while later and as soon as I stood up I had the gush, in true movie-like water breaking fashion that I was told didn't happen very often. I was so excited and Steve was in the kitchen at the time so I had to show him that it was indeed time, he told me to stop leaking all over the house and get in the bathroom 😆

I knew I wanted to labor at home for as long as possible and since we live an hour from the hospital the plan was to leave when contractions were about 5 minutes apart.

We knew it was going to be a long night so we both wanted to try and get a little sleep, I really wasn't having contractions yet so Steve and I both went to bed.

40 weeks + 2 days. Saturday April 8, 2017.
I woke up around 12am to more gushing and noticeable contractions. At 12:30 I woke Steve up and said we better get ready to go as the contractions were getting closer together.

We were on the road at 1am. It was a nice drive to Fargo, I had my eyes closed most of the trip just breathing through contractions and listening to the book Supernatural Childbirth.

Got to the hospital a little after 2. We were taken to the birthing floor and I got checked for the first time in the whole pregnancy and was 3.5-4 cm  dilated. We got moved into our room and I changed out of that hospital gown pretty fast, seriously those things are annoying. I was way more comfortable in a sports bra and granny panties!

I spent the next few hours walking around the room, breathing through contractions and using Steve or the sink counter to support me during them. Sometime during these few hours between 2 and 4 I was laying on the bed and yelled for Steve to get me the garbage - I threw up twice and then felt fine, it totally came out of nowhere. I was checked again at 4am and was only at a 4; I felt like it would be a long day at that rate.

I had tested positive for Group B Strep so the nurses started my IV of antibiotics, and of course they had to stick me 4 or 5 times before they switched arms and then got it right away. I don't remember getting out of bed again, I labored on my side and then had them bring the birthing ball and I laid on that in the bed. Steve was great, making sure I was drinking water, and keeping the back of my neck cool with a washcloth. They checked me again at 6am and I was at a 6.

Everything you read and hear about labor, say that transition is the most difficult part and I honestly don't remember it being any more difficult other than the contractions were just closer together. By 8am I was at 10cm and our midwife said it was time to push.

Our birth photographer got there just in time for me to start pushing. I started pushing while I still had the birthing ball under me and then ended up in a squatting position. I was using Steve and a nurse on the sides of me to grab onto when it was time to push, eventually they brought in the bar that attached to the bed and that seemed easier for me.

Between contractions and pushing there was a point where I needed oxygen to help the baby, it wasn't something the medical professionals made a big deal about so if there was something really wrong they didn't let on and that kept me super calm to be able to just focus on deep breathing. I was thankful to not be in any pain and just kept praying and trusting God.

I couldn't tell you how many times I pushed but before I knew it one of the nurses was asking if I'd like a mirror to see our baby crowning. This was a relief because at one point I asked if the baby was going back up after each time I relaxed and wasn't actively pushing - haha they said that wasn't how it worked, phew, good to know!!
So I felt the baby crowning and could see all the beautiful dark hair in the mirror, our midwife said she hoped it was a girl with all that hair because it would be a waste on a boy!!

Two more good pushes, one for the head, one for the shoulders and our baby arrived at 9:04am. Steve announced it was a girl, they put her on my chest and the rest of the day is a blur - she was here and that was all that seemed to matter!!

Now I have to talk a little about our birth plan. I wanted a natural birth and not to be all macho I just had a big fear of not feeling my legs if something didn't work with the epidural. A few weeks before my due date I had a dear friend recommend Supernatural Childbirth and I couldn't be more grateful. This book and ideology was just what I needed. I had been praying to God regularly for the health of this baby but never did I think to pray for a painless birth. So I started to talk to God about how this birth would look and I had such a peace about it. I am so proud of myself and my body and beyond grateful that He gave us this wonderful experience that resulted in our beautiful Quinn James!

Above Photos by Lindsay Kaye Photography

7 lbs 12 oz 20 in

Image Map

No comments:

Post a Comment